Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
About the Information Center
The Information Center for Ropeway Studies is the largest special collection on the history, theory, design and operation of wire rope systems in the US.
- Materials transport
- Ski lifts and conveyances; passenger tramways, lifts, and transportation by ropeways
- Technologies and materials for ropeways
Collections & Research Guides
The Information Center for Ropeway Studies (Ropeway Center) provides access to a comprehensive collection on information relative to the history, theory, design, and operation of ropeway systems including recreational and materials ropeways.
Find Information on Ropeways
About the Center
The Center was established in 1991 to support research on ropeway technology; it is guided by an Advisory Board of industry members. Collections include books, journals, newsletters, manufacturers' catalogs, images and other media. The Advisory Board's emphasis for making ropeway information widely accessible led to the creation of the Center's ROPEWAY database of ropeway publications held at the Center and elsewhere.
For their support, our thanks to:
- Members of OITAF-NACS (International Organization for Transportation by Rope--North American Continental Section), for gifting funds to endow the Center (2005)
- OITAF-NACS, for increasing the Center's endowment for a stable future (2006)
- AWRF (Associated Wire Rope Fabricators), for their gift of a significant collection of manufacturers' catalogs on wire rope fittings (2007)
Billy Beasley's Ropeway Center Reports--Watch Now!