Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Timeline, Colorado School of Mines History: Beginnings

Colorado School of Mines

Welcome to the Mines History TImeline -- Mines' history by decades.

We're under construction; stay tuned for more....    

If you have questions or feedback, please send them to us using "Ask a Librarian" below.

Related links:

Beginnings

1859 -- Golden City is founded. 

Bird's eye view map of Golden, Colorado, 18731867 -- An Act to Incorporate the Colorado Mining College is recorded by the Colorado Territorial Legislature. Not funded, so no further action took place.

1868 -- The Colorado & Clear Creek Railway Company breaks ground for Golden's first railroad.

 

Bird's Eye View of Golden map, D. D. Morse, 1873

1869 -- Jarvis Hall Collegiate School, a private school with a strong vocational focus, is established south of Golden (location of the current Lookout Mountain Youth Services Center) by Episcopal Bishop George M. Randall. The School opens in 1870. The first faculty include: Rev. George Randall; Arthur Lakes; Edward L. Berthoud; and George West.

1870 -- The Territorial Legislature approves the creation of a Territory-funded school of mines building at Jarvis Hall in An Act to Establish a School of Mines against stiff political opposition. The chief objections were in locating the school in Golden rather than in Denver or Central City, and using Territory funds to support Jarvis Hall as a private college with a religious affiliation.

1872 -- Matthews Hall, Jarvis Hall's new divinity school, opens.

1873 --Jarvis Hall and the School of Mines building

  • The School of Mines at Jarvis Hall opens (although the building wasn't completed until 1874). E. J. Mallett serves as Professor in Charge.
  • Baseball and cricket clubs are formed at Jarvis Hall Collegiate School. The baseball team is known as the Jarvis Hall White Legs.

 

Jarvis Hall and the School of Mines building, CSM01.02-B4225

1874 --

  • The Territorial Legislature signs an act to establish the Territorial School of Mines (An Act to Establish a School of Mines at or Near Golden, Jefferson County, Colorado Territory). The first Territorial Board of Trustees includes: W. A. H. Loveland; Captain E. L. Berthoud; and Nathanial P. Hill.
  • The first day of classes for the new Territorial School of Mines is September 15 1874. (The School was originally scheduled to open on September 2 but Professor in Charge Mallett was reportedly on the road acquiring mineral specimens for the School.) Tuition is $55 per session and $40 for summer session.

1875 --

  • E. J. Mallett leaves the Territorial School of Mines and establishes a rival Denver School of Mines. (It wasn't successful.)
  • Gregory Board is appointed Professor in Charge.

1876 -- 

  • The Colorado School of Mines is established as an institution of the new State of Colorado. Six "scholars" are enrolled, and an additional 20 students attend chemistry and metallurgy lectures.
  • A State Diploma is offered. The diploma is earned by passing an examination; enrollment in courses is not required.
  • Charles Berdell, Mr. Hendick, and W. H. Chapman are reportedly the first to earn State Diplomas from the School of Mines.
  • The State Legislature passes an Act with a provision that tuition will be free to residents of Colorado.
  • The School receives a medal for its superb collection of mineral specimens and fossils on display at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition.
  • Athletics at the School include foot racing, baseball and boxing.

1877 -- S. W. Pattison, who reports his home as Puerto Rico, is the first international student to appear in the School catalog.

1878 --

  • Dr. Milton Moss, a "practical chemist", replaces Gregory Board as Professor in Charge of the School of Mines.
  • The School now has 12 "regular" students, as well as special students attending lectures.
  • Jarvis Hall's main building burns to the ground before the fire companies can rescue it. Two days later, Matthews Hall is destroyed by fire. Arson is suspected. The School of Mines building is the only building of the Collegiate School left standing.

1879 -- 

  • Golden has a substantial "smelter's row" along Clear Creek with the addition of the Valley Smelter and the French Smelting Works.
  • Professor O. C. Marsh visits the area to inspect the fossil beds of the Arkansas River valley before traveling on to Como, Wyoming where Professor Lakes is exploring.
  • The School of Mines opens for Spring Term in the Loveland Building in downtown Golden. The Board of Trustees decides to relocate the School, and a site on Arapahoe and 5th St. is chosen.

 

Ask a Librarian

Ask A Librarianh